Saturday, June 23, 2007

Safari 3.0.2 for windows.. At long last!!

At the WWDC 07 Apple announced that it would the Browser-Wars proposing its own Safari web-browser on Windows too.I think that a new player in the field can be a good thing and push the market in a new direction. Well, I was so excited and curious that I downloaded Safari for Windows as soon as the Apple servers were ready to deliver it. Imagine my disappointment when I tried to use the webpages I visit every day and.. nothing was working as it was expected. GMail, blogspot, Libero, etc. all of this pages had big font rendering problems due to some issue with international OS version (I'm using Windows XP in Italian). On another machine I got XP in English and there Safari was working better.
Today I read the Safari 3.0.2 has beee released, so, a quick run of "Apple Software Update" and here it is my new shining Safari installation. Let's try GMail.. works! Blogspot: perfect! So, Kudos to the Apple team (and to all the people involved in WebKit and khtml) for the good work. I'm looking forward the possibility to make Safari my new default web-browser.
Anyway, does somebody know about embedding scenarios for WebKit on Windows? I'd be interested in incorporating WebKit in a C# application....
Anyway, go to www.apple.com/safari and give it a try!

No comments:

Joost

Joost™ the best of tv and the internet